Wednesday 23 February 2011

UNUSUAL GATE LATCH


While I was reading Bernard's blog this morning and he mentioned a repaired keyhole at the church in Sydenham, I remembered I'd taken a photo of a different kind of gate latch at Westcott Church when I was there in 2006. Once I'd searched through my different caches of photos I eventually found it.

It's a simple idea but effective with a large staple on one side of the gate, a latch on the other side which swings across and a heavy metal peg on a substantial chain, fastened above the staple, is pushed through the loop. I wonder if the village blacksmith made this.

There must be so many examples of handmade and practical items around, I really must look harder!

2 comments:

Kath said...

How interesting, looks like the sort of thing my dad used to make.

Bernard said...

Hi Sylve,
Everything metal was made by the smith in those days. A right 'Jack-of-all-trades' he was.
If I'd been born in those times, I'd have probably been a blacksmith. I actually have a little anvil in my workshop now. :)

I think the technical term is a "hasp & staple".
I'll look it up. :)