Sunday 1 May 2011

JACK IN THE GREEN

The art group I go to isn't one where we have a teacher or demonstration as a matter of course, just a room in the Village Hall where people who want to draw or paint can gather once a week for a couple of hours. We don't have a model and people mostly copy their own photos or those from magazines etc.

Last summer I found this picture advertising May Celebrations in Hastings in 2008. I think it came from an 'England'-type of magazine. I liked the pheasant feathers and the fact that it wasn't a full face shot - not something I find easy to do at all- so decided to have a go at it.

Here's the result.
I'm quite pleased with it so thought I'd share it with you.
There's an interesting web site about Jack in the Green, the Green Man and May Day celebrations all over England here: http://spiritofthegreenman.co.uk/sotg/links/links.htm and includes a piece on our government wanting to move the May Day holiday to either October or St. George's Day. It says that although most European nations are signatories to protect World Intangible Cultural Heritage events - the UK hasn't signed. Just what you'd expect, really...


1 comment:

Kath said...

Thanks for that link Silve, I will go and read up. I will be showing your picture in my Blog post tomorrow. Did I ever mention that I have mounted and framed my copy?
I wonder if there is an online petition that we can all sign, to protect our May bank holiday?