Saturday 25 June 2011

THE GARDEN, LATE JUNE

Down at the bottom of the garden is this swathe of what I always used to call Agrostemma aka as Corn Cockle, then it was improved to be a garden plant and renamed as something  which I can't remember - that's a good start! It also comes in a white version as well as this bright pink and self seeds itself without any trouble.
The jasmine on the bottom shed has grown so much this winter, not just the leaves and flowers but the stems, too.
Back in 'April Garden Pt 2'  I posted a photo of what I thought were going to be cones on the Norway Spruce which has gone berserk in this part of the garden. Well, the red thingys did turn into cones after all and very pleasing it is, too, to know that at last it's doing something other than just growing!
Opium poppies have popped up everywhere this year, pink doubles and red singles like these below.
There are a lot of green pinheads showing through the soil all round the garden so I reckon these are what I'd thrown around where ever there was a space and now they're all emerging at once. Since they're annuals, unlike the other poppies which I've posted in other Garden months (which are perennials) these should flower later in the year.
This is the main flower head of the sea holly Eryngium giganteum aka as 'Miss Willmott's Ghost'. It's a striking plant with stiff strongly veined leaves, the flower being a steely blue, when it arrives.It's surrounded by other, less pronounced flowers on stiff stems. It's a biennial but seeds fairly easily and the 'Mum' of this plant was bought about 15 years ago...
Miss Willmott lived from 1858 - 1934 and apparently scattered the seeds in gardens she visited, which is how it got its name!  She was a strong character (with money and influence, which helped) who spent her whole life advancing the cause of horticulture. When she inherited the family home it's said she employed 104 uniformed gardeners - a bit like mine. I jest!
When she died the garden was neglected, the house was demolished so that smaller houses could be built on the site but, because of Green Belt policy, these were never built and now the Essex Naturalists' Trust run it as a nature reserve. Just as well it's in Essex or HS2 would probably carve its way through it, Green Belt, Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or whatever. Sorry if I sound bitter. Information from the book I've mentioned previously.
Coming back up towards the house there's this feathery fennel, well, two of them, also self seeded from plants which I bought years ago. They can be a bit of a problem as they're not easy to get out unless you catch them as small plants. The eryngium is on the left hand side, copper beech hedge in the background, cedar, trellis which has fallen apart and the huge walnut tree which is three gardens away. The 'tree-man' came to trim my lilac a few days ago and says you should prune walnut trees now. I wouldn't have so many little walnut trees popping up everywhere if it was cut down a little bit! Planted by the other gardeners, the squirrels.

A little while ago I posted about the mullein but well before it got to this size - it's still got time to grow some more. The flowers are quite small but they are a nice plant to have in the garden. And no mullein moth this year, either.
Just as a PS I have no end of trouble with the new editor - it won't behave as it should and even Sarah, who's my Blog expert, can't find out why it behaves as it does so has concluded my PC is running a system which is too old. It's almost as bad as the original system I began with - it's one reason why I haven't posted recently. I have a long post about a day out when Gillian and I went to Elton Hall in Northants but it took over a week to do and it's still not finished - I'm bored with the hassle so won't go back to it.

3 comments:

Bernard said...

I tried to enlarge that first picture for a better view, but - it didn't get any larger.
It looks very much like Lychnis or Rose campion.
Mine seeds all over the place. I tried the white version but it never self seeded. You could save seed which would germinate, but those scattered in the wild never survived the winter like the bright pink variety.

I've just been reading your older post on Glenn Miller. Our organ group used to have a 'do' on the old airfield in Bedfordshire. There is a Glenn Miller museum there. Lots of WW2 memorabilia in the old huts. We have now re-located to a new venue at Milton Keynes.
Not so far to drive.

Kath said...

It all looks very lush Silve. How's the pond doing?
I'd love some of those opium poppy seeds if you can send me some later in the year.
The Rosemary you gave me, has taken off and looks very healthy indeed.

Sylve said...

Bernard, you're correct, it's Lychnis coronaria.I remembered after I'd posted.
Have you read,'Next to a Letter from Home' by Geoffrey Butcher? It's subtitled 'Major Glenn Miller's Wartime Band'. Another car boot purchase. The first 78 record I bought had Moonlight Serenade on one side and American Patrol on the other.
Kath, I'm glad the Rosemary likes your soil.
The pond's OK, plenty of fish in it.
I feed the cats, birds and fish in the morning and badger(s) at night!! Never a dull moment.