Sunday 16 June 2013

QUILTS AND HAND SEWING

At last I've finished a quilt I began last year and left over the winter. There are 480 2" squares all together with as many different materials as I could find. Inevitably some are used more than once.
I didn't want to use any pale colours in it so I've called it 'Darks and Brights' because that's what they are. I framed the multi-coloured patch with cream and then added a border of the material I used to back the last (handmade) quilt I finished. There are still scraps left over so they'll turn up in other quilts from time to time.
There are materials which have already been used in other quilts such as this flying lion but there are others which I haven't used before.There's still a pin in some photos holding the layers together before I Tacked it.
Other pieces are'fussy cut' like this shell,( and joined so well, as you can see!) or I've used up the last scraps so couldn't be too picky about the appearance.
 Teddy in a beret...
A Christmas cat...
A penny farthing cyclist piece which came from a long-time friend...the paisley piece above it I used in a Trip Round the World quillow in 1995.
 And these dalmatians are the last piece left over from a dress I made my almost 40 year old granddaughter when she was very much younger.
The backing is a new sheet bought a few weeks ago at a car boot; very expensive at 50p! The camera hasn't really captured the colour because it's  purple. I didn't quilt it so did Mennonite Tacking instead, which holds the layers together just as well, only differently. There are tiny pink stitches which show in the square below the red, the dark green starry and in the  pink square below that. (These photos all get taken as the quilt's on the line and moving in the breeze... )

 This is how the reverse looks with just these small stitches visible.


 I used cotton perle No.8 for the Mennonite Tacking and a sashiko needle because of the thickness of the cotton. Good old Hobbycraft!
I didn't put on a separate binding but turned the sheet to the front and stitched it with multi-coloured cotton in colours which related to the border.


And last of all, the all important label.

Another quilt to pack away...

I've got some handsewing on the go, too, just a little bit at a time, something else which I began while Kath was still in Stoke, I think, so several years 'old'. These Grandmother's Garden pieces aren't meant to go together, it's just that I make handsewn quilts in small sections so that I don't have to cope with the weight for a long time. The exciting part will be when I play at laying out other sections, when they're made, and work out how wide the finished quilt will be, then I can really get going on it.


I've also got some machined patches stuck on the grandly named Design Wall, which is an absolute must as far as I'm concerned and since it's my house I can do what I like. When I first came here this was another of the First Things I did - sticking sheets of polystyrene on the spare bedroom wall and stapling a winceyette sheet to them. Then drawing felt tip lines horizontally and vertically to give me a line to which I can butt up patches and keep them level. The snag now is, I can't reach the top line as I've shrunk in the last several years. Ho hum...

I saw a strippy quilt heading to Briony's blog and liked it so decided to use some scraps which seem to keep piling up and make one for myself. Picking my way through my UFO box I found some patches which I'd make so long ago I can't remember when, though they are larger than Briony's. So I decided to carry on with those. The larger squares mean longer strips which then means cutting more strips and so we go on... I try to do a couple of squares a day after breakfast and before I do anything else. Well, that's the idea. I made the last two on this row this morning before coming downstairs and carrying on with this blog, begun yesterday.


Just as a tail-ender - I threw out some old bread for the badgers last night (that's extras), opened the Top Shed door to get the three usual handfuls of peanuts and found the field mouse sitting on top of the plastic bin containing the peanuts. So I left four or five nuts for it... Years ago I had left the lid off an empty bin and in the morning there was a dead mouse in the bottom. It must have fallen in and then couldn't get out so I make sure lids are on tempting 'smelly' bins.




6 comments:

Kath said...

ooh lots of quilty loveliness! I think the darks and brights is my favourite of your quilts so far (apart from the cobblestones) and I like the Mennonite tacking very much, I have yet to try it, but intend to.
I had forgotten about the hexy flowers, they are going to be smashing when they're all assembled.

marilyn said...

You are such an artist with fabric. It takes a special talent to put the colors together and then join them forever with those teeny-tiny stitches. But please don't put it away! There must be a special friend or family who would treasure the quilts. Some of the things we cherish most are the many afghans my mother made.


Sylve said...

It'll be a while until the hexie quilts gets anywhere near finished! Still, I'm plodding on.

Hallo Marilyn, thanks for your kind comment about the quilt. All my family have quilts I've made, in some cases more than one, so I thought I would like this one for myself.

Bernard said...

Kath told me I’d never be any good at quilting.
Now this needled me, but after a bad patch or two, I cottoned on and caught the thread of how easy it was. Anyway, I kept practicing and after a while I soon had it all sewn up.
I hope I haven’t spun out this yarn too long?

Sylve said...

How long did it take to compose that??? It's very witty, Bernard.

Bernard said...

Glad to hear it amused you. :)
You see, Kath said I'd be "Fat quartered and basted" for comments like that.
I don't quite know if that is good or bad? It sounded a bit like rhyming slang for 'cut and pasted'.
(Perhaps she's going to cut me off her list of followers?) He,he! :o
It's a new one on me.
How long? Off the cuff.