Saturday 3 September 2011

MORE OF WENDOVER

I collect books about Buckinghamshire and although I have the Alison Uttley book of Buckinghamshire when I saw another copy in a charity shop in Wendover (in the days when I was allowed to go upstairs, way before 'elf and safety) I bought it for £1.50. Alison Uttley writes a 'roses round the door' view of the past but someone had written this on the frontispiece of the book which is more true to life. Undated, unsigned so I don't have any idea who wrote it - and I've written on the back of the photocopy that it was an ex-Northamptonshire Library book.....

3 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

It's interesting to read other people's tales of the past and this one sounds as if the writer liked the peace and quiet but maybe not the toilet arrangements so much! Interesting stuff Sylve.

Bernard said...

I have found many books with names and dates but never with snippets as interesting as this.
I will email you a list of my 'Bucks Books' for you to check out.
Cheers...B

Sylve said...

Several years ago, when I was looking through a 19th century Assize book, where the pages are interleaved with blotting paper, was a drawing on the blotting paper (probably done by a bored court official) of either the judge or one of the attorneys with a full wig, not the scrap they wear these days...Now let's see if Blogger allows me to post on my own Blog - 2nd time.