Sunday 23 December 2012

ANOTHER VISITOR

Every night, currently about 5pm when it's dark, I throw out two handsful of peanuts plus any cut off crusts from during the day for the badger. He/she is still arriving every night except that last night it didn't appear. The food, or most of it, was still on the patio this morning. I was having breakfast and saw a quick movement...and there was another garden inhabitant stuffing its tiny face...
 
 By the time I'd taken the camera from its case (even though it was beside me on the coffee table) it had long gone. I waited and it returned though it's so fast it's only there for a second. Never mind about the photo being in focus!
 

Going, going.....
 
 

gone!!!

It was still peeping out from beside the old shed on the patio but decided it was wiser to be prudent.
I've already had a large-ish hole blocked up but the soft rain-soaked wood enables mice to munch through the shed wall. I have a piece of old towelling hanging on a nail on the inside of the shed door which, I noticed, had large holes in it so there's a nest in the offing somewhere.

(Just a giggle to end on, though. When I was still teaching the headmistress always booked a theatre trip for the 5 and 6 year olds in January. One year we went to Wimbledon where there was a childrens' play covering the seasons, I believe,  and all I can remember about it is that one character wore red and white striped stockings so she looked like Pippi Longstocking. There was a scene where it 'snowed'. As the 'snow' fell several hundred children stood up to see where it was..).

3 comments:

Kath said...

I wonder if that's the mouse Lewis saved? :-D

Sylve said...

Thanks, Lewis, and Happy Christmas to you, too....

Helsie said...

Merry Christmas!1917