Thursday 30 September 2010

FUNGUS


I was on my way to the local Health Centre but at a junction there had been a road accident. There were Police, ambulance, 2 crumpled cars and people sitting on the grass being attended to by paramedics so I began to turn round to go by another route.

One thing I saw as I turned was this large fungus growing among the grass on the verge so I stopped to take a photo. I should have found something for indicating the size but didn't think about it at the time.

I've also noticed this small fungus growing under my oak tree but it's virtually unseen as it blends in with the old brown oak leaves which have fallen in previous years. There are several clumps of it roughly in the same area. There's no stalk to be seen although there is one. Its name is schleroderma citrinum and was identified for me by matthew@mushrooms.org.uk for a small donation to help with running the web site.


No comments: